Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Response to Alex

So I searched up Oakland on google reader and this post from Alex came up. This quote is interesting because he is talking about a show that was starred in Oakland. This was sort of like a documentary on gangs in Oakland. Here is the following quote.
This was really pointed out to me the other day when I was flipping through the TV channels and I came upon this show named gang wars. This show caught my attention in particular because it was talking about the gangs and violence in Oakland. The show specifically focused on the cycle of violence. Whenever one act of of violence was committed it would be responded to by another act of violence. It is a sad truth that many people in Oakland have to deal with... It is sad to see teens my age getting caught up in this violence. It sickens me to think that they are just throwing away their lives for what a gun, power, females, toughness.
I have watched this show named Gang Wars: Oakland, but I am not sure that this is all true. I think that this   show was not that accurate or true. First of all, they copied I believe the History channel with Gangland, just thought I should point that out. Next is that they make the police seem like they actually want to help Oakland and make the police look nice. In reality, many policemen are different. Some harass people and believe they are in control. Do not get me wrong, there are many policemen that have their heart in the right place and actually want to help out Oakland. There are also scenes where the police are busting through doors to get into houses, which makes it look like the police do this all over oakland, which they do not. Also the commentator makes it sound like Oakland is a really dramatic place to live at. With his deep serious voice, that is creepy after you listen to it after a while. Like when he said," It is 10,000 gang members versus a group of 11 police officer that are highly trained." Oh and my favorite one," [Police]...all they have is hope." This show made me actually bad about living in Oakland at first, but now it seems as a lot of what they said was just exaggeration. Lesson of the day is... do not believe everything you see on the T.V.!

I agree that there is a lot of violence all over Oakland, If it is either by ethnicity, social class, or gangs. Much of this violence comes from way back in the past. Some of it also comes from dumb decisions from teenage boys and girls.

1 comment:

  1. http://j1t.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-city-is-peaceful-cont.html

    Have you seen Fermin's post about your writing?

    ReplyDelete