Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wishlist

Today i was going through my iTunes library and i remembered about a song. I remembered about Wishlist by Pearl Jam. It is a very simple song, but deep with meaning. This song talks about a wishlist that is on his mind which is very symbolic if you think about it. This song stood out to me from the repetition of the four words," I wish I was" on about every line. Here are parts of the song that I like,

I wish I was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off.
I wish I was a sacrifice but somehow still lived on.
I wish I was a sentimental ornament you hung on
The christmas tree, I wish I was the star that went on top

I wish I was a messenger, and all the news was good. I wish I was the full moon shining off a camaro's hood

I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on.
I wish I was the pedal break that you depended on.
I wish I was the verb "to trust", and never let you down.

Like I said before, this song is very symbolic. In some parts it talks about trust. For example, when it says," I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on. I wish I was the pedal break that you depended on." This is talking about trust because if you depend on a pedal break, you trust it to work. Also, if you keep your house keys on a souvenir, your trusting that it will stay safe there. My favorite line from the song has to be," I wish I was a messenger, and all the news was good." This makes me think about when a soldier dies, and a person is sent to tell the family about the news. This reminds me of this because nobody wants to be a messenger and tell people the bad news, everyone wants to tell them the good news.

This made me think about wishlists, it made me think about what I want to do before I die. Just like the T.V show The Buried Life which is about a group of guys who made a list of 100 things to do before they die. I wonder how others make or chose 100 wishes out many that everyone has. I think this would be a controversial list. It would be divided by selfishness and unselfishness. Some would help others and some would not. Overall, this song is awesome and should be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment