Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fight Club #1

*I did not use CD/CM because I still need some time to understand book more


The book that I chose to read is Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I choose this book because my sister had recommended it and I was curious to read because it has been in our stacks of books for a long time. My sister warned me that it was a little confusing, but she said by the end I will get it. There is also the movie Fight Club which I am looking forward to seeing after reading the book.
So far, this book has been interesting. In the beginning, it starts off as a tangent beginning that seems like if it starts off in the ending like in movies, which I liked. It started as unclear, but after a while I started to begin to get it. I have to admit that it was sort of boring after the beginning, and I had to bear through some boring reading. But then it starts to pick up again after some events in the book.
I think this book is intended for high school students and higher until adults. I believe this because much of the book is confusing at times. Middle school students would be really puzzled, even I am confused at times. I think that middle school students would easily get distracted on the not so important context of the book. Also there is a lot of cussing and harsh vocabulary. There is also a lot of sexual references and context, which middle school parents might not like. Overall, I think high school students should read this because it is hard to understand what is happening.
This book reminds me of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It reminds me of it because it changes subject quickly. In The Curious Incident, the narrator switched from ideas or added unnecessary information. This also happens in Fight Club, but in Fight Club it is more irrelevant and confusing. Also in Th Curious Incident, the narrator or kid has a thing called autism. While in Fight Club, the narrator has something called insomnia. SO both of these books have a character with an illness.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you should explain a little more why the book is confusing. If you did, it would make it much smoother. good reference to a different book but hopefully you will be able to pull out some CD/CM to back up the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how u linked the book the te curious incident of the dog in the night time. I though that that was very clever. I agree with kathy in the fact that u should explain more of how it was confusing. I also think that you should include whether or not u liked it. Pulling out som cm/cd woulda been great, as kathy said earlier. Over all, great blog post.

    ReplyDelete